Monday, November 15, 2010

Middle of November and still in America!

As you may have noticed, my travel plans have changed considerably! I went from planning to come home, go to Burning Man, visit friends and family, then head to Central and South America with Tanya to still being here, working, and planning the trip solo. Life happened to Tanya so she's going to stay in Beijing to work and live a while longer. This leaves me going south alone with scares the crap out of me!

Tanya and I were going to just head down to the beach to relax a while before doing any work or volunteering. We could couch-surf and just figure it out as we went. This doesn't work for me though. I'm fine traveling alone, but I think for extended periods without a buddy I would get bored. Not to mention how much more dangerous it would be! So I want to find a more structured travel plan. I've been looking at taking intensive Spanish courses, maybe surf lessons, joining up with a volunteer organization, or just finding work in Costa Rica, Argentina, Chile...wherever! I want to see it all anyway.

I'm getting close to having a solid plan, but I won't disclose details quite yet. I'm getting very excited about leaving, but I'm having so much fun here too! I've been catching up with old friends, making new ones, and just having a great time. I've been working for my old boss, Chris, at the welding shop. We got the Phoenix Zoo as our big client this time, and since I've been back I've worked on a reptile exhibit, the new koala exhibit, tore down and rebuilt the bear fence, and am about to install HUGE baboon/mandril cages to their inside area. These things get rusted out and need to be replaced. It's nice working at the zoo (when the weather's nice). There are monkeys that sing in the morning and plenty of other animal noises to keep us entertained. Sometimes we have strange birds watching us, like the peacocks that roam freely about the zoo, or the vultures that watched me work on the reptile area (a little creepy).

I love being home, but I'm antsy to get moving again!

No comments:

Post a Comment