Friday, July 19, 2013

Culture



On our road trip through France, I got to experience quite a bit of different cultures; I was traveling in a new country with three people from yet another new country!  I love hearing about cultures - always asking questions about how people live and why, seeing our similarities and differences, and enjoying (or getting annoyed by) displays of values and traditions.

Sitting on a small staircase on Mont St. Michel, I ate a baguette sandwich with my friend Tim.  A French lady stood below us and stared at me for a minute, then when I stared back, she just said "Bon appetit!" with a smile and turned back to her group.  I smiled and enjoyed the gesture.  Tim told me that in Belgium, people say the same thing, but in Flemish.  So when we returned to Ninove after our trip, and his parents made spaghetti for us, we all said "Smakelijk!" and dug in.


No comments:

Post a Comment