Last August, my yoga instructor, Dusty, started her own yoga studio in Tempe called Laughing Buddha. It's been her dream and I've been going as much as I can despite such a busy life this last year. I love her space and the teachers and students who go. I've met some amazing people there and Dusty gives me space on the walls to put my art up to sell. It's a sort of home for me. So when she asked me to make her a big metal om for the studio I didn't hesitate to say yes.
Of course that was last fall and I've just finished... but if you know me at all you know I am at my best when I have a deadline! So just as I'm leaving, I've finally finished. I wanted the om to be very special and beautiful, to reflect the love I have for Dusty and the people who share that space. So yeah, it took a while, but I got it done and I am very happy with what came out of it! The main circle is 43" in diameter and sticks out off the wall 6", and it fits over a second outer ring that is around 4' wide. The inside is lit by color-changing LEDs (like what's inside the mantis), which shine through the om symbol that I cut out with the plasma cutter and is covered with a finely perforated sheet metal. So it can be any color she wants, or flash different colors, or fade, whatever suits her fancy =]
When I gave Dusty her om, she gave me the best hug and we shared such a special moment. Some of us are just connected deep down and she is someone who will remain in my heart forever. In this way, I love making girls cry! =D




No comments:
Post a Comment