I went home around 10:30 and the wind had picked up after a blazing 117 degree day. I drove with the windows down, hoping no debris blew in, but enjoying the excitement of the storm. I ran into my apartment, grabbed my headphones, and left for the park nearby to swing on the swings and enjoy the dusty wind. The power flickered off and on in the neighborhood as I got to the park, and I was amazed when I walked up and found that there was a person on the first set of swings. So I walked further toward the other set, and was astonished to find another soul sitting under that swingset! I got on a swing and he said hello. I barely started swinging when the other figure ventured over and I found myself talking to a guy and a girl just a couple years younger than me, and we all sat together in the sand enjoying the wind whipping our faces, using our hands to block our eyes from the sand, but loving every second of it as we talked life, philosophy, and religion. We all agreed that we could just have this weird moment among strangers of connection and silly fun without that need to exchange numbers or solidify our fake friendship on Facebook. We just had a moment. A long moment actually... probably an hour. The girl is an artist named Kaitlyn and the guy, Matt, is studying genetics. Just a few young people enjoying the park at night, little elves that nobody can see are there unless you join us (but we can hear you go by!)
I needed that. Thanks Phoenix!

No comments:
Post a Comment